It’s no secret that most people probably don’t eat enough greens in their day-to-day routine. According to the Australian Dietary Guidelines, we should be consuming at least 5 serves of vegetables daily. That is including a variety of foods such as dark greens or cruciferous, root vegetables, legumes, beans and other vegetables.
With our busy lifestyle and activities, many people tend to forget about their health. We move less and eat more rich foods, which eventually affects our health. Poor health and lifestyle can increase the risk of high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, muscle, bone and respiratory disorders, to list a few.
Making positive changes to your lifestyle will help you improve your life. You must take control of your life, so it leads to improvements. Start with small changes such as:
- Moving your body for 30 minutes. It can be a walk around the block, playing with the kids or going to work on your bike.
- Eat a healthy breakfast to give your body the nutrients needed to start the morning with energy and power helping you tackle on the day ahead.
- Plan easy healthy meals for when you are busy and don’t have a lot of time to cook. This helps to prevent poor food choices.
- Choose water instead of soft drinks, cordial, fruit drinks, energy drinks and flavoured/vitamin water.
- When you are hungry, fill up with lots of vegetables and fruits that will provide you with the nutrients needed for a healthy and balanced diet.
- Don’t spend a long time sitting down, have little breaks from the computer, go for a walk or just a quick stretch.
If you looked at this list and said ok I could manage a few changes, that’s GREAT. But I know we all get busy and sometimes it’s hard to fit in those 5 serves of vegetables and fruit.
So when you are caught in a rush and can’t eat that amount, then you can add a green powder. Let me explain a little more here.
There's a range of green supplements available int he market. But keep in mind that greens supplements ARE NOT the answer to your questions when it comes to eating a healthy balanced diet. Adding a green powder supplement to your routine will only complement your diet.
There are many benefits in adding greens to your routine. However, you have to remember that this is not a magic powder that will solve all your unhealthy habits problems. You still need to exercise and eat a balanced diet.
Some of the benefits of adding greens to your diet:
- It can help to detoxify the body from free radicals.
- May improve energy levels.
- It has lots of antioxidants, which can be anti-inflammatory.
- Some have added probiotics, which is excellent for gut health.
Adding a green supplement to your current balanced and healthy diet can be beneficial. However, green powders aren’t a substitute for fruit and vegetables. To see the benefits of green supplements, you need to be active and eating healthily. This type of supplement is not a miracle supplement. You still need to be dedicated to your health to benefit from it.
Remember, when you want to change your lifestyle, you need to start with small tweaks to your routine so that you can make those little changes a habit. Living a healthy and active lifestyle will have many benefits. So take one step at a time and change your lifestyle today to reap the benefits in the future.
EAT FOR HEALTH Australian Dietary Guidelines https://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/sites/default/files/files/the_guidelines/n55a_australian_dietary_guidelines_summary_book.pdf
The Benefits of Eating Breakfast https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/many-benefits-breakfast#1
In vitro and in vivo antioxidant properties of the plant-based supplement greens+™. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21954333
Plant based dietary supplement increases urinary pH. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18990209
Effects of greens+® A Randomized, Controlled Trial.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15217524
Super Greens: Are Greens Powders Healthy? https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/super-greens